Sunday, February 6, 2011

Teaching With Netbooks

posted by Paul
I attended FETC the past several years. Last year (2010) I recorded all the presentations I attended, but never got around to posting them online. That's why, this year (2011) I did this over the weekend following FETC: so I would be sure to get the job done. One memorable presentation from last year, besides a presentation on "The Cloud" by John Kuglin (see his two presentations already posted from the 2011 FETC elsewhere in this blog), was on Teaching With Netbooks, by Brad Flickinger. At that time, January 2010, our school was discussing the idea of 1:1 using Netbooks, so I grabbed the opportunity to hear Brad speak. His school had been using Netbooks, so he was the closest thing to an expert I could find.
Audio File of Presentation (mp3, 11.7 Mb - right-click to download; click to play)


My brief notes:




  • Keynote - slideshow with video clips sliding in and out. (NOTE: here, Brad goes through a typical classroom day with Netbooks in 3 video presentations. Very good!)

atomic@atomicfreelearning.com (free ebook)

“Lease” the netbooks internally; it's theirs in 2 years (whatever).
My school: we ended up asking our fifth graders to bring their own Netbook. We provide the WiFi connection to the Internet. This has worked out well, because the students have a literal "ownership" in their Netbook. Not all schools can get away with this; ours can and did, and it's enabled us to do something we otherwise may not have been able to do from the financial standpoint.
Added by Rusti from FETC 2011. Great article on Classroom Management with Netbooks (also by Brad Flickinger): 

No comments:

Post a Comment